So, Motherpie recently posted something to effect that there lots of people who like to express their pride in TEXAS (more so, even, than NY -- gasp!!). I was well aware of this early on, when at the age of 16 I took a trip to DC and somehow just knew that we Texans were the pride-fullest of the prideful. My first and ONLY clue?
There were no earrings in the shape of the District of Columbia, Virginia, or any of the nation's other 50 states. None. No necklace pendands shaped like NY, no "Don't Mess With (Fill In the Blank)" shirts, NOTHING.
While I, being Texan, was at once ridiculously proud of this fact, I was also quite aware that the cashier at the gift shop whom I unleashed my new-found knowledge upon was not quite as impressed.
Which brings me to a conversation we had this past weekend while floating the Salt River in Arizona. We were talking about how much nicer the view was there than on the Guadalupe or Comal, and how, yeah, we could definitely see ourselves living in Arizona. Except, of course, for the kids.
"They have to be raised in Texas," I declared.
Why? Here are just a few of my many genius reasons:
1. The weather. I know, I know -- this seems like such a crazy notion, but where else can they experience the moist, suffocating damp heat of the rain forest, the blazing, arrid heat of the desert, the freezing-your-ass-off cold of the north, AND develop allergies of every kind all in one state? NOWHERE ELSE BUT TEXAS.
2. The Hill Country. God's Country.
3. Willie Nelson
4. The food -- BBQ done the RIGHT way (no mustard and honey shit here), Tex-Mex, and Steaks the way God intended -- red and mooing. Plus? You'll easily get as-good-if-not-better Cajun on the Gulf Coast as you will in Louisiana. And yes, I do know this for a fact.
Okay, well, that's all I can think of right now, but really, what more do you need?
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't you think Pat Green and Jerry Jeff Walker, Bluebonnets and bbq might be on the list? And cowboy boots?
Cheers!
Ha ha -- I actually had written out so many other artists, including PG and JJW, along with Robert Earl, Ragweed, Cody Morrow, etc...
BBQ was listed, though I didn;t specify Rudy's, which if you really know Texas, you know I'm right!
And the boot thing? Unfortunately, Jessica Simpson brought them screaming to the mass public and now they've lost all appeal.
But that's just me.
Oh, and I also skipped The Alamo.
Post a Comment