Monday, January 29, 2007

The Brambles

For me, every now and then there comes an author who gets it just right in the descriptive department. Eliza Minot does just that in her novel, The Brambles, describing the essence of being a mother to perfection. Not only does she hit it right on the nose, she's also very accomplished in the "beautiful language" department. This is the way words are supposed to be used!!

It's taking me a little while to finish, mostly due to the fact that by the time 11pm rolls by and I'm finally able to sit down and read, it doesn't take long before I'm nodding off. Although I do enjoy her descriptive narratives, I'm a little ready for the story to move along -- it rambles just a bit with introspective internal dialogues and memory, but I keep on, knowing that the pot of gold at the end of the rambling rainbow will be certainly be worth it.

No comments: